The Guidelines (not rules, you’re not children… we hope.)
Our community is growing! Lots of readers growing into commenters, then writing their own OCs, and developing into authors as well. In the interest of all, here are some general guidelines for Discord and commenting here on the site:
- Let people finish a thought/describe an idea before you start critiquing it
- Constructive criticism (not personal insults)
- Offer solutions if you’re going to criticize (otherwise, just question things)
- Be pleasant (as in, not annoying, like say… spamming a channel or user)
Obviously, there will be differences between personalities and perspectives, and your interpretation of these guidelines may be somewhat different than another reader’s interpretation, but if you’re unsure, consider the criteria for evaluation below.
Criteria for evaluation (used by admins/moderators):
Does the user’s behavior meet the asshole rule:
- You’re not wrong, you’re just an asshole (see The Big Lebowski)
We want a great, fun, positive, and welcoming community, please help keep it that way!
Can’t play nice? We have a couple of hammers…
Jail hammer: you’re stuck in the free-for-all channel until you convince @tensleep (or a moderator) that you’ll behave.
Ban hammer: you got out of jail, and flagrantly abused your newly-restored freedom. You’re gone for good.
709fics.com does not filter content and is an open system that trusts the writer’s judgment. However, there is an inherent responsibility that falls to writers as a result.
Here is a list of conducts that should always be observed:
- Spell check all stories and poetry. There is no excuse for not performing this duty. If you do not have a word processor that has the spell checking feature, use a search engine such as Google.com to find one.
- Proofread all entries (stories, comments, posts) for grammar and other aspects of writing before submission. ‘Hot off the press’ content is often riddled with errors. No one is perfect but it is the duty of the writer to perform to the best of his/her ability.
- Respect the community participants. Not all comments will strictly praise the work. If someone rightfully criticizes a portion of the writing, take it as a compliment that the reviewer has opted to spend his/her valuable time to help improve your writing.
- Everyone here is a fiction fan at a minimum, many are aspiring writers. Respect your fellow members and lend a helping a hand when they need it. Like many things, the path to becoming a better writer is often a two-way street.
- Use proper textual formatting. For example: using only capital letters in the story title, summary, or content is not only incorrect but also a disregard for the language itself.
The chapter system is not to be used as placeholder for non-story content such as author notes. You can add short author notes to the beginning or at the end of stories but never as individual chapters.
Do not upload chapters, series, or segments of a story as separate entries. In order to submit a 5 chapter story, for example, use the ‘Create Post’ page to submit chapter 1, and then repeat for chapter 2, etc.
Posts not allowed
- Non-stories: lists, bloopers, polls, previews, challenges, author notes, and etc.
- One or two liners.
- Stories with non-historical and non-fictional characters: actors, musicians, and etc.
- Any form of interactive entry: choose your adventure, second person/you based, Q&As, and etc.
- Chat/script format and keyboard dialogue based entries.
Actions not allowed
- Multiple entries of the same material. There can only be one copy of any unique story on the entire site. No exceptions.
- Rewriting names of characters/locations of one story in order to upload to multiple categories.
- Copying from a previously published work (including musical lyrics) not in the public domain.
- Post title and summary must be rated K for all audience. No exceptions.
- Post must be given the proper rating. No exceptions.
- Post must be placed in proper category. No exceptions.
- Chapters of the same story are not allowed to be submitted as separate stories. All chapters/segments must be grouped together using the ‘Series’ feature.
709fics.com follows the rating system from FictionRatings.com.
Please note 709fics.com does not accept explicit content: Fiction Rating: MA is not accepted.
Banned Derivative Works
709fics.com respects the expressed wishes of the following authors/publishers and will not archive entries based on their work:
- Anne Rice
- Archie comics
- Dennis L. McKiernan
- Irene Radford
- J.R. Ward
- Laurell K. Hamilton
- Nora Roberts/J.D. Robb
- P.N. Elrod
- Raymond Feist
- Robin Hobb
- Robin McKinley
- Terry Goodkind
Failure to comply with site rules will result in the removal of stories, comments, and/or suspension of account.